Posted: 18 December '09 by Niall
Kelly and I threw a small, civilised (apart from one individual – you know who you are!) Christmas party at the start of the month and of all the party food we prepared, two dishes stood out and had several friends asking for the recipes.
The first of those dishes was Goats’ Cheese Crostini with Red Onion Marmalade.
The first rule for party food is that it must be easy to prepare, and that’s certainly true of this dish. But the simplicity of the preparation isn’t reflected in the taste – the creamy piquancy of the goats’ cheese is tempered by the sweet and sour of the red onion marmalade to create a delicious treat.
So, for everyone at the party (and for anyone that wasn’t) here’s the recipe – enjoy!
Red onion marmalade
- 50ml Olive oil
- 1 kg red Onions, finely sliced into long thin slivers
- 250g soft dark brown sugar
- 150ml red wine vinegar
Goats’ cheese crostini
- 1 long, thin, white baguette, cut into ½ cm thick slices
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 200g soft Goats cheese
- 1 punnet mustard cress
- For the red onion marmalade: heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a low heat and add the sliced onions. Sweat the onions until they are soft, sticky, and translucent.
- Add the sugar, stirring as it melts, and then add the vinegar. Simmer the mixture so that the liquid reduces and you are left with a thick, sticky jam consistency, stirring occasionally – this should take about 45 minutes.
- Spoon the marmalade into a bowl and allow to cool
- For the crostini: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
- Put the baguette slices on a baking tray and drizzle each with a little olive oil.
- Put the tray in the oven and toast the crostini until they are golden brown.
- Remove the crostini from the oven and leave to cool on a rack.
- Put the goats’ cheese into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a little goats’ cheese onto each crostini and top with a small spoonful of the red onion marmalade.
- Finish with a few stems of mustard cress.
In part 2 I’ll give the recipe for chargrilled haloumi skewers with tomato and chilli jam..