Posted: 06 March '12 by Kelly
With a stack of tortilla wraps left over from our Fish Tacos, there really is only one solution – making Huevos Rancheros for breakfast!
As well as using up all of those left-overs, these Mexican “ranch eggs” really deliver on taste: spicy tomato sauce, runny fried eggs and the bite of strong cheddar cheese – heaven!
There are lots of variations on the recipe – with avocado, refried beans, and so on – but this is our favourite.
You can see the photos here:
Makes 2 hearty servings
Duration: 25 minutes
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 4 tortilla wraps
- 4 fresh eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- A little mature cheddar cheese, grated
- A glug of olive oil
- A pinch of caster sugar (optional)
You’ll also need a saucepan and a non-stick frying pan.
- Pour the olive oil into a saucepan, followed by the onion, garlic and chillies, and place the saucepan over a low heat.
- When the onion has softened and become translucent, add the tomatoes and increase the heat to medium.
- Stirring regularly, allow the sauce the reduce and thicken, so a spoon can pass through the sauce and leave a clear trail.
- Taste the sauce – if it’s a little harsh, try adding a pinch of sugar.
- Reduce the heat completely, allowing the sauce to stay warm as you make the rest of the meal.
- Pour a little olive oil into your frying pan and warm the tortilla over a low heat.
- When the tortilla has warmed through, set them to one side.
- In the same saucepan, add more olive oil and crack your eggs into the pan, allowing them to cook slowly – you really need firm whites and runny yolks for this.
- When the eggs are ready, sprinkle the coriander into the chilli sauce.
- Spoon a couple of tablespoons of the chilli sauce onto the side of a plate, place the warmed tortilla onto the plate, followed by two fried eggs on top of the tortilla. Lastly, sprinkle the cheese on top of the eggs and serve.